Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Beginning My Lenten Journey Day 1



 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.” 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

We were bought at a price. Jesus died on a cross and what have I done to honor that sacrifice? I can say that I have not been a good steward of the body he gave me.  But God wants us to honor him with our bodies, so how can I honor God with my body?

This year I am choosing to honor God by spending the forty days of lent on a journey of living a healthier lifestyle by following “The Daniel Plan” written by Rick Warren, et all. That journey will mean spending each day with my faith (reading the Bible), food (getting rid of the unhealthy food and introducing whole foods), fitness (walk four to five times a week) focus (pay attention to my plan to whole health, mind, body, spirit) and take friends with me on the journey.

Jesus knew the importance of nurturing his spirit by spending quiet time in prayer with God. “Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.” Mark 1:35 Spending time in prayer, first thing in the morning before the distractions of the day begin, will be a way that I plan to nourish my spirit during the 40 days of Lent. What are ways that you could nourish your spirit during Lent?

There is an epidemic in America. We are overweight, over stressed, and busyness is a badge of honor. I wonder if God thinks busyness is a badge of honor? But there are so many good causes and things calling for our attention. Doesn’t God want us to do all these good things? What does your body tell you?

You were bought at a great price. How do you plan to honor God with your body, the temple of the Holy Spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment