Friday, August 3, 2018

Spiritual Direction, A safe, Non-judgemental Place to Explore


Is there something I sense God is calling me to?
What are my images of God?
How do I take time to reflect on my experiences?
Who is Jesus for me?
Where am I most aware of God’s presence?
What are my deepest joys?
What questions within me keep me growing?
What are the questions that frighten me?
How am I growing spiritually?
What is my desire for God?
How do I discern the presence of God in my life?
How do I feel about my relationship with God?
What is spiritual growth and how do I foster it in my life?
What is true for me?
Who am I?

The spiritual discipline of Spiritual Direction gives one a safe, non-judgmental place to dig deep and to look closely at all the ways God is working in one’s life. It is a place to explore questions like the ones listed above.

Spiritual direction is spending time deepening one’s relationship with God. It is time set aside usually for one hour once a month. During this one hour, the person coming to a Spiritual Director referred to as “the directee” brings joys, concerns, questions, etc. to the session. The spiritual director listens closely to the directee and the Holy Spirit, asks questions, and reflects back to the directee to help the directee to discover the ways that God is present in their life. The real spiritual director is the Holy Spirit. It is not a counseling session but a safe space to explore, ask questions and ponder. It is a spiritual discipline of setting aside time to work on our relationship with God.

Spiritual direction explores a deeper relationship with the spiritual aspect of being human. Simply put, spiritual direction is helping people tell their sacred stories everyday.

—Spiritual Directors International

No comments:

Post a Comment