Friday, June 22, 2018

Pause and Let Your Soul Catch Up


Last year our student ministry leadership team here on campus said Sabbath is a spiritual discipline they find the hardest to practice. In response I spent last summer reading and researching to find some ways to help us practice the spiritual discipline of Sabbath. 

“Pause and Let Your Soul Catch Up” was born from this time of reflection.  Over and over again I notice how things get out of hand when we become so busy, so overwhelmed that we stop pausing long enough to let our souls catch up. In my own personal life I find that I get grouchy when I do not take a time of Sabbath. When I do not pause and let my soul catch up I do some really “stupid” things (sorry grandchildren I know stupid is not a good word to use but nevertheless they are stupid things that some times hurt others).

Today I suggest we all pause and let our souls catch up so we stop doing the “stupid” things that so often hurt others. Stop and reflect on your actions. If you took time to really pause and let your soul speak what would it say?

p.s. I highly recommend reading “An Unhurried Life Following Jesus’ Rhythms of Work and Rest” by Alan Fadling. When Jesus was here on earth he did not run himself ragged but gave us an example of a rhythm of work and rest. Jesus often paused and prayed and let his soul catch up. Jesus is the example of the type of person I want to be. How about you? What example are you following?


No comments:

Post a Comment